Friday 3 August 2012

Originally broadcast on CHED Radio, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada June 26,1964

Let me tell you how my day went.  I didn't sleep well last night.  My bed was lumpy.  It hasn't been properly made for the last while.  The radio told me I was twenty minutes behind schedule.  I forgot th wind the clock last night.  I went to the drawer for a clean handkerchief.  There was none. I selected the last pair of socks from my drawer but there was a hole in one toe.  I had to wear the same shirt I wore yesterday because the soiled ones had not been sent out to the laundry.  I went to the kitchen to fix a little breakfast.  Bacon and eggs.  (How long has it been since I ate something that wasn't fried?)  The frying pan was dirty and sitting in the sink with last nights dinner dishes.  The Ivy plant on the window ledge looked rather sick.  I had forgotten to water it. I looked out the windows and noticed that the flower beds were in much the same state.  They looked as neglected as they were.  I thought again about the inner man and decided a little light breakfast food would do.  I poured out a bowl of corn flakes and went for the milk.  I had forgotten to put out the bottles.  I planned to try and catch a bite at coffee time.  My suit looked a little wrinkled.  I hadn't remembered to send it to the cleaners.  At the end of the day I went home to the empty drawers, the dirty frying pan and dishes, the empty milk jug, the dying ivy and the limp flower beds and I thought to myself, life just isn't worth living when the little woman takes a week off to visit Aunt Martha.

No comments:

Post a Comment