Sunday 4 December 2011

Originally broadcast in December, 1963 on CHED Radio, Edmonton, Alberta Canada. Labeled #6a


If you are a constant listener to these little talks you know my feelings about education. I have always advocated a child going the whole course in learning. A young mother gave me cause to re-examine my position recently when she said “I’m fed up to the teeth with education”. She explained that every door seems to be closed to young people today unless they have a degree.  True, but is this bad? According to this mother it is and she has a point. “Who is going to mend your shoes in ten years?” she asked, “and who is going to fix the sink drain and point the roof and tailor your clothes and repair your car?” Her point was that we all can’t be university grads. There must be plumbers and mechanics and repair men and shoemakers, and these are all important and honourable callings for the person suited to them. Well, I think I have to agree with the lady, for what kind of a world would we have if we were all professional men? All the degrees in the world won’t unclog the plumbing when it stops up. There is no doubt about it, the world has need of a very wide range of skills. Maybe it is time we slowed up on the propaganda that a lot of letters after your name is the be-all and end-all of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment