Saturday 19 November 2011

Originally broadcast March 3rd, 1965 at 11:45 AM on CHED Radio, Edmonton , Alberta, Canada

I was going through an old trunk of mine last Sunday when I came upon my high school year book.  On page twenty-two I found a picture of a fellow I will call Charlie Carlson. He was quite a guy. As I looked at his picture I recall one afternoon many years ago when Charlie got into a fist fight during and inter-school sports day. Charlie took on a fellow who was a head and a half taller than he, and at least 60 pounds heavier. The brawl lasted about 15 minutes during which Charlie was knocked down at least 20 times. He never landed a good blow on his opponent but every time he went down, he got up again. I remember saying to him after a teacher had stopped the fight. “What did you keep getting up for? The guy was no match for you”. Charlie said “I guess not, but I didn't know that I was beaten”. Well, that was many years ago, but that great fighting attitude that my friend had as kid has been with him ever since. You see during the war he was pretty badly shot up. In fact he had no right to survive at all. No one gave him a chance but again Charlie didn't know he was beaten. After the war, in spite of physical handicaps that would embitter most any man, Charlie built a new life for himself and has prospered, again not without a fight. Many times his business has been in trouble and everyone said he was going under. Again Charlie picked himself up, put the pieces together and kept fighting. He didn't know he was beaten. When I saw Charlie after the war I felt sorry for him. I don't anymore. I only wish I had one quarter of the courage he has. Here is a guy who will win regardless of the odds. How can anything stop a guy who in all his lifetime has never acknowledged defeat. How can anything stop at guy who doesn't know when he's been beaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment