Wednesday 3 November 2021

Originally broadcast on CHED radio - Tuesday, June 14, 1960

When I was a kid, there were two very very important words that I heard at least 20 times every day. Those two words were, "straighten up". For 10 years I heard that loud and clear call every time I set out for school, every time I went out with my best girl, every time I got within earshot of my father, "Straighten up”.  My dad knew there wasn't too much he could do about my brain, but my spine he was going to look after, and I was never allowed to forget to throw my shoulders back whenever dad caught me in an upright position. Why I mention this is because I think the youngsters of today need a few "straighten ups" yelled at them, especially the young ladies. Last Sunday I just took notice, as I'm sure you have done, of the number of young ladies who sort of sag along the street in their flat heels. Their eyes are downcast and their spines bent over and so many of them have that "what's the use" look. In contrast, I saw two other young ladies on Sunday walking along 142nd St., beautifully turned out in their Sunday best and they were straight as a die. They look like a million dollars. So mothers, and fathers, let's get the kids to throw those shoulders back and straighten up those spines or we're going to have the saggiest generation of adults in history. And kids, if you are listening, just try it for a while and see what a difference it makes in how you look and how you feel. You're going to have to carry the burdens of this world on those shoulders, so let's get those spines straight up and down and begin to look like you can handle the load. I know things look black, but I'm sure they're not as bad as those bent over backs and droopy young chins would indicate.

No comments:

Post a Comment