Monday 1 March 2021

Originally broadcast on CHED radio - Date unknown

I have a very amazing uncle from whom I have learned a great deal in life. In all the many, many years I have known him, and he's 85, I have never heard him speak ill of anyone. Regardless of what others would have to say about someone, this uncle of mine would always remember some kind act or deed the person in question had done, and would spring to his defense. I guess it's just human nature to forget all the good things folks do in life, and remember the bad. And it seems that no matter how good a record a person may have, how well thought of he may be, there are very few who will stick with him when the world turns against him, because he's made a mistake. 

Well, I've known a lot of oddballs in my life, con men, card sharks, crapshooters, boosters, bookies, ladies of the street, but I found that if you look long enough and hard enough, you'll always find a bit of good in them, if you'll just give it a chance to come to the fore. When a person gets off track, gets in trouble and ends up on the wrong side of the book, as we know it, it doesn't take long for that person to develop a natural hostility towards society. But often a person can be helped back to the straight and narrow if there is just someone there by his side to show him the way and lend a helping hand. It's funny though, how we feel about helping someone on whom society has turned it back. We always say, "what will people think if I am seen with him or her?" Well, when they're talking about you, they're leaving someone else alone. So think about it a bit, and if you have a chance to lend a hand, do so. Believe me, there is no truer statement than this. "There is so much bad in the best of us and so much good in the worst of us, but it ill-behoves any of us, to speak ill of the rest of us”.

No comments:

Post a Comment