Saturday 13 March 2021

Originally broadcast on CHED radio - Date unknown

You know we learn some of life's lessons in the strangest ways. I remember when I was just a kid, I was singing a difficult Italian duet with a young lady at a concert. It was during the winter and the hall was stifling hot and stuffy. About halfway through the number I felt sick and dizzy and was sure I was going to have to stop singing and get to the door for some fresh air. When I had just about decided I couldn't go on, my young partner stopped singing and one look at her told me she was just as sick as I was. But now it became impossible to stop. From somewhere came the strength to go on. I sang on alone until she regained composure and we finished the song together. 

That must have been close to 25 years ago, but I still remember that night, because it showed me so clearly that when you figure you can't go on, even one step more, you are given strength to continue, if you will but except it. That occasion showed me too, but when someone is depending on you, you just can't let them down, even when you are convinced that the courage and strength to continue is not in you. 

Throughout our lives, we look to each other for help and assistance. And though on so many occasions, we feel we cannot carry our own burdens, let alone those of someone else. We can do it if we'll but try. 

Yes, it's funny how an experience during your tender years will stick with you for the rest of your life. In just about two minutes, so many years ago in the Westmount Community Hall, I learned a lesson I'll never forget, a lesson that has helped me and will help me all my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment