Wednesday 10 March 2021

Originally broadcast on CHED radio - Date unknown

I had a good friend during the war who was an officer aboard the Princess Helene which ran between Digby, Nova Scotia and St. John, New Brunswick. I made that crossing many times, but I shall never forget one crossing we had in December of 1943. We pulled out of Harbour about seven in the morning and before we were 10 minutes out, the weather turned as bad as I had ever seen it on the Atlantic coast. One of the worst storms in history hit the area and for four hours the ship was tossed and pitched about like a small piece of driftwood. The waves ran mountain high, and with every lunge it felt like the ship was going to break up. I talked to my friend and confess that I was somewhat apprehensive. I shall never forget his words. He said, "Don't worry, the captain knows where he is going!" I have thought about that crossing many times since then for on that morning I learned that if you know where you are going, and you are determined to get there, all the storms in the world won't stop you. Sure, the rough waters will come, and the tides will run high. You will be buffeted until you are convinced that the next blast will send you under, but if you keep the course in mind, and the destinations firm, you will make it. Let the storm come, let the wind blow, let the waves pound. You are the captain of your soul and with God’s help you will make harbor safely.

No comments:

Post a Comment