Thursday 18 February 2021

Originally broadcast on CHED radio - Wednesday, April 22, 1964

If you are a man you no doubt have often wondered what it is within a woman that makes her save things. Look into any icebox or refrigerator and you'll see what I mean. A teaspoon of creamed corn in a small covered dish. A half eaten pork chop on a plate neatly covered. Two egg yolks. A small cube of stale cheese. A piece of suet and six small containers of bacon drippings. The juice off some maraschino cherries. A bottle of vinegar with a bit of dill floating about. These are the things that are crowding the nations refrigerators. They are the things that no woman can throw out NOW. Later, yes, but not now. I suppose in a way this is a virtue, or would be if those sweet souls who inhabit our kitchens ever USED these bits and scraps but 9 times out of 10 they find their way into the refuse can. I have learned to live with this in my house, but then I have had to because my wife carries this business to the ultimate. Why, rummaging about in the basement last week I came across twelve 1958 calendars! Two had pictures on them that were worth saving but the others were the kind you get from your insurance company, plain as a board fence. I took them upstairs to my wife and confronted her. She confessed she had put them away. I asked her "why would you save twelve 1958 calendars?" She replied "why not? If 1958 ever comes back I'll be sitting pretty!”

No comments:

Post a Comment