Wednesday 27 January 2021

Originally broadcast on CHED radio - Date unknown

I am probably the world champion non-joiner.  I suppose I shouldn't confess that since our society has great need of chairmen and directors and boards of governors. However, I have had the course. I found that by doing a bang-up job for the Scouts, I was the automatic choice to do the same job for the PTA, the Rover Boys and the Campfire Girls.  I thought I had it rough until I read of Mr. and Mrs. George Morris of Baltonsborough, England. Between them they cornered so many voluntary posts that they had to stay home nights, writing official letters – – TO EACH OTHER!  The blow off came after four, long hard years, when Mrs. Morris as clerk of the village school governors had to write a very nasty letter to Mr. Morris regarding a schoolyard flood. The unfortunate Mr. Morris, you see, was secretary of the village hall committee. That did it.  He resigned, sending copies of his resignation to himself and to his wife. "The only good thing about our old arrangement," said Mr. Morris, "is that it did save postage. We just handed the letters across the table to each other.”


And that's our little story for this time neighbors. It's rather short today, but I am rushed. You see this is my week in the chair at the meetings of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to the Common Sheep Tick, Alberta division.

No comments:

Post a Comment