Sunday 31 January 2021

Originally broadcast on CHED radio - Date unknown

I got a kick out of the Journal For Dissent article by Manville farmer, Mr. C. M. Finley. I appreciate Mr. Finley's position, that daylight saving does really complicate the job of the farmer. However his article contained two bits of pure mythology which deserve comment. Mr. Finley says in answer to a city man's request for the Alberta government to approve daylight saving, “They wish to play golf or go to the lake or have a little longer to watch a ball game. Is it right that these playboys should be given prior consideration to the farmer." First Mr. Finley, if I may presume to speak for the "playboys" in the city, there are no ball games to watch an hour longer. Second, most Edmonton businessman are on the freeway at 7:45 headed for the office. Perhaps I am not typical, but I know there are thousands like me who don't get home until 7 or 7:30 at night. I don't own golf clubs, and have no lake cottage. Like you farmers Mr. Finley we playboys are just a bunch of hard-working fellows trying to make a living. The other mythological statement I want to comment on, taken from Mr. Finley's dissent, "It is to the everlasting credit of Mr. Manning and his government that they have taken time out from their busy lives to understand the problems of the farmer." I am glad they are trying to understand your problem sir, because I get the distinct impression they couldn't care less about mine. One of Mr. Manning's deputy ministers told me so last week. I went to seek the advice of this official, and went in good faith. I had to have a ruling from him. I was told that the Manning government was not concerned with the radio broadcasters or the advertising agencies. This official said, "I'm not telling you anything I haven't told every other radio and advertising man in the city." So you see Mr. Finley, because of this officials personal feelings and the feelings of his government, if I am to believe what he said, my position is prejudiced. I never did get his ruling. All I got was what these Manning people call "the philosophy behind the law." But here's the biggest laugh of all. The question I took to this official concerned a giveaway show. He told me the Manning government frowned on anything that even suggested something for nothing. Now doesn't that sound ridiculous from a representative of a government that was swept to power on the strength of a promise to give away $25 a month to everyone in the province.

No comments:

Post a Comment