Sunday 31 January 2021

Originally broadcast on CHED radio - Date unknown

Following is one of the most profound definition of love I have ever read. It was written by a very young lady whose life was lost in a car accident, a most unforgettable girl, I assure you. "You may like me or not, it makes no difference. If you ever need my help, I am with you. Often we can help each other by leaving each other alone; at other times we need a hand-grasp and the word of cheer. What your condition in life is will not prejudice me either for or against you. What you have done, or not done will not weigh in the scale. If you have been prudent and wise I congratulate you; unless you are unable to forget how wise and good you are – then I pity you. If you have stumbled and fallen and been mired in the mud, and have failed to be a friend to yourself, then you of all people need friendship, and I am your friend. I could not exclude you if I would. But if I should shut you out, I would then close the door upon myself and be a prisoner indeed. I offered no reward for being loyal to me, and surely I do not threaten you with pain, penalty and dire disaster if you are indifferent to me. You cannot win me by praise, promise or adulation. You cannot shut my heart toward you, even though you deny and revile me. Only the good can reach me, and no thought of love you send me can be lost. There are no dues. I do not demand that you shall do this or not do that. I'll issue no commands. I cannot lighten your burden, and perhaps I should not if I could, for men grow strong through bearing burdens. If I can I will show you how to acquire strength to meet all your difficulties and face the duties of the day. If you err, it is not for me to punish you."

No comments:

Post a Comment