Friday 22 January 2021

Originally broadcast on CHED radio - Date unknown

When I was an impressionable 19 years old I met a man who had made and lost two fortunes and was again on the way up.  I was fascinated by this fellow for at the time I was a struggling underpaid writer trying to keep a home and raise a family on a very modest wage.  I thought at the time that if I ever should make a fortune and lose it overnight I would simply give up and quit. As I got to know this man better I saw that it wasn't really the money that counted with him.  It was the challenge that kept him going, his wealth was merely a byproduct. He viewed each day as another opportunity to prove himself to himself.  I asked him one day how he felt when after so many years of labor he found himself once again, not at the finishing line but at the starting post.  He stated that truly this didn't bother him for he had never counted himself out. He likened life to a boxing match. As long as you can get up and go another round, you are never knocked out.  Perhaps right now YOU are facing adversity. Perhaps your every instinct tells you to give up.  Dear friend, don't do it.  Remember, no one can count you out but YOU. If you can get up, dust yourself off and go one more round, you may end up a winner.


No comments:

Post a Comment