Friday 22 January 2021

Originally broadcast on CHED radio Tuesday July 28th, 1964

The average man has some misgivings about visiting a psychiatrist. They are really not as mysterious a breed of cat as the TV serials have made them out. I recall going to see one a few years back when I was having some pretty bad headaches.  Tension, the doctor told me. I could've told HIM that much. "Where is the friction in your organization?” he wanted to know. At that time I was having plenty of friction with a new sales manager who insisted on going his own merry way without putting forth the slightest effort to coordinate his activities with mine, which was essential to the operation of the business.  I confessed to the psychiatrist that the new sales manager was driving me right around the bend. He urged me to tell him all about our relationship, which I did. At the end of my long and bitter tirade he said, "tell me, does the sales manager get migraine headaches?“  I told him that NOTHING seemed to bother the sales manager. "Then YOU figure out who has to adjust”, answer the doctor. I have never forgotten that interview and I think if you'll ponder his advice a bit, you might find a solution to some personal problems of your own. People do not always act the way we wish they would. Those we love, or those with whom we must work often disappoint us and let us down.  Often we feel violent anger towards someone. If this is the way you feel towards some person just remember this,, if he makes YOU very angry, and you don't bother him a bit, then it's easy to figure out who has to adjust. That'll be $15 please.

No comments:

Post a Comment