Saturday 23 January 2021

Originally broadcast on CHED radio - Thursday, April 8th, 1964

For me to knock the Little League would be a disservice to the dedicated men who coach and operate these teams. I submit however that many of these coaches teach the kids everything but the most important thing, and that is how to lose.  This was brought home to me after a Little League game recently in which my son played first base. His team had enjoyed a spectacular series of wins. In 8 games they have not lost one. His team was not only winning, but winning by margins of ten to twelve points. Naturally I was proud of the lad and his team.  However, I had to entertain the fact that his team like any other team must lose the odd game. One Friday evening he came home with his head hung low. His glove hung from his arm and his eyes said only one thing. Defeat. I asked him if his team had been beaten and he snapped back "no, we were robbed!”  That night as I tucked him into bed I explained that no team which played as well and as hard as his had and dropped at 3 to 2 decision had been "robbed". His team had been beaten. I thought it a real pity that every coach doesn't teach the child it's great to play the game, it's great to win, but it's the greatest to graciously except a loss. We all have our setbacks in life. We can moan and cry that we've been robbed or we can dust ourselves off and go back to the fight proud of the effort we have given to the task. I repeat what I said at the outset. I do not wish to malign a little league coaches for they are wonderful people. I would only ask of them that they remember to teach the boy not only how to win; but how to lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment