Wednesday 27 January 2021

Originally broadcast on CHED radio - Date unknown

Eric Nicol wrote a very humorous article in the Edmonton Journal last week regarding the many commercial uses to which our new Canadian flag has been put.  Although I thoroughly enjoyed the article, the subject is pitiful rather than humorous. On a recent trip from Las Vegas, the full impact of the new Canadian flag hit me. Like so many Canadians who are somewhat at a loss to know why, I am nonetheless always glad to get back across the border into my own country, but this last time it was different, because there, flying from a tall flag staff was our new flag. It felt good. We drove across the border and stopped in Lethbridge for breakfast. I looked down at my placemat, and sure enough it was the Canadian flag.  There was a spot of beef gravy here and there and ketchup stain somewhere else. I looked about the restaurant, and at every place was the same placemat. That was around the middle of March. Since then I have seen the new flag on cigar lighters, bathmats, key holders, plastic change purses, bumper stickers, tobacco pouches, and sweat shirts.  I'd say these items are running a good second to the JFK Memorial bric-a-brac you see at every novelty counter.  Well, these commercial interests will always be with us I guess, but what a pity the federal government didn't enact some powerful legislation prohibiting such use of the flag when it was first decided upon. I understand some such legislation is now being shaped, but I think we are locking the door after the horse has gone.  I can just picture what will happen when some of our American tourist friends, having dined at that restaurant in Lethbridge, see a new Canadian flag fluttering in the breeze atop a building. They’ll look at the flag, turn to each other and say, "that's not the new Canadian flag. There are no gravy spots in the upper left-hand corner.”


No comments:

Post a Comment