Sunday 31 January 2021

Originally broadcast on CHED radio - Date unknown

Mrs. Ella Mary Marshall is 87 years old. I read about her in the San Francisco Examiner. I'd like to tell you a bit about her because she can teach us all a lesson or two. Mrs. Marshall lost her husband in 1964. He died after six years invalidism which wiped out their life savings. And so at 87 Mrs. Marshall went back to work. At 87 mind you. Today she gives her services as a skilled stenographer and typist at the Mission Neighborhood Center. She works a five day week. On Friday she attends the meetings of a service club. She makes regular trips to Reno, Nevada, where she plays the odd slot machine and a bit of Keno. She is planning another trip to England which she visited a year and a half ago. In short Mrs. Marshall lives a full, active and productive life. She says, "I never dwell in the past. What a good can that do with so much to be excited about in the present. As for worrying about the future, why should I?" "I've managed to get along pretty well up until now. I rather look forward to reach 100 before I have to slow down. Age is something printed on a calendar and has a little measure for the individual" says Mrs. Marshall. She goes on to say, "the thing to do with life is live it, making the best of everything and laughing a lot. Almost anything, even your own trouble can be funny. The trick is to develop a humorous point of view." Finally Mrs. Marshall says, "I love people, and quite a few of them seem to like me. I try to use some of my experience to teach me how to be agreeable. It's the least one can do in a world full of unnecessary tensions." Well, I hope Mrs. Marshall lives her 100 years. The world has need of such people. I thought as I read about this remarkable 87-year-old lady, of the many people I know in their 20s, 30s, and 40s who have more or less given up on life. They are in ruts over their head and have no desire to get out. They have few interests and their minds are closed to new thoughts and new adventures. If you are such a person I hope this little tale about this dear lady in San Francisco will cause you to take another long look at your life and how you are spending it.

No comments:

Post a Comment