Friday 26 February 2021

Originally broadcast on CHED radio - Date unknown

To get to my office from my home, I have to pass one of the big high schools of which our city is so proud. The school is surrounded by a high close mesh wire fence. That fence is closed down completely 3 feet up with papers, gum wrappers, boxes, and every other kind of debris you can imagine. In a word, it's a mess. Now there are several hundred youngsters going to the school and every day you can see them out in the schoolyard, relay running, broad-jumping, pole vaulting and playing all those active games that keep children healthy. I have often asked myself, "why not just one hour per week devoted to cleaning up the schoolyard?” It was a ritual when I went to school and I might say, rather looked forward to. Are today's kids too good to pick up a few papers and clean up the school where they spend so much of their time? I asked one of the young fellows one day if any attempt was ever made to clean up the schoolyard. "Naw, let the school board do it. We're at school to get an education not learn how to be garbage collectors." He couldn't talk long. He had to get back to the urgent business of foot racing. In a way I guess you can't condemn the kids. Least ways not so long as father drives to the golf course where he hires a small powered cart to haul him around the 18 holes, and then has the gall to say he golfs for exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment