Wednesday 24 February 2021

Originally broadcast on CHED radio - Date Unknown

We’ve all heard the saying, “You can’t judge a book by its cover.” I learned this the hard way.  I was in the automobile business for a short time.  Selling cars is a highly competitive business, but I was sure I’d succeed because I felt I could spot a hot prospect.  If a well dressed man walked into the showroom, I was right there to give him service.  On the other hand, I was inclined to pass up some shabbily dressed chap as simply a tire-kicker who had come in to dream a while.  Such a fellow walked into the dealership one day.  He had on dirty overalls, his hands were grease-soiled and his hair needed cutting.  Under his arm he carried his lunch pail and in the other hand he had a case which obviously contained a bowling ball.  “You talk to him, Gord,” I said to one of my fellow workers.  I started in the direction of a bright looking lad in an Ivy League suit with a briefcase under his arm.  When I had determined that this customer was simply waiting for his bus, I turned around to see the other salesman writing up an order.  To my complete astonishment, four of the car-jockeys were rolling out a brand new Lincoln from the showroom.  That’s right.  It was for the man with the lunch pail.  Furthermore it was what they call a “clean deal”.  No trade and it was cash on the barrelhead.  When the Lincoln deal had been sewn up the man with the overalls bought a light delivery truck, again with no trade, and again cash.  Believe me, from that day until this I have never judged a man by what he appears to be.  It cost me some pretty sweet commissions, but I did learn the truth of the old adage, “You can’t judge a book by its cover.”

No comments:

Post a Comment