Sunday 21 February 2021

Originally broadcast on CHED radio - Date unknown

I stood on the main street of a large American city one evening recently. Passersby must have wondered about me because I was looking straight up. Surrounded as I was by millions of neon lights and flashing bulbs I can see nothing but a blinding glare. I watched the tired, drawn faces of people as they passed me, and I wondered "do they even know there are stars up there in the heavens?” I am sure there are countless millions who live their entire lives in the cement jungles of our cities who never once see the brightness of God's own domain on a crisp fall evening. Were I am millionaire I would set up a fund which would permit the transporting of kids from the slums of our big cities out into the country where they could see the stars and smell leaves burning in the fall and dangle their small feet in a running brook. I never come away from a large city without a thankful prayer that I am a small-town boy who has known and loved the simple things of nature that have been put here for us to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment