Tuesday 16 February 2021

Originally broadcast on CHED radio - Friday, September 26, 1958

On my Thought for the Day program I have written a great deal about the relationship of mother and child – very little about father and child. If I am typical, and I think I am, the father – child relationship is just as demanding as the mother – child relationship.


For example last night I had to do a small repair job on my boy’s bike, and like all jobs requested of me by this young fellow, I just had to do it right. That feeling is, I think, very typical of fathers. The boy expects dad to be able to do it – no matter what it is, and for as long as you can, you try to allow him to retain the idea that dad is super-human, and not just a mortal like other men.


I so often think when dealing with my sons, that I am shaping their lives - their habits - their attitudes - their entire way of life, will be a reflection of what I am, and one off–color word, one shabby deed, one broken promise can destroy forever that sort of blind devotion and faith that a little boy has for his dad — that attitude that "my dad can do it" - "my dad is the very best."


Well, it's a heavy load to carry sometimes – because we fathers are just ordinary people - no better - no worse than the run of the mill Joe. and yet, there are times when I think the good Lord steps in to give us a hand – when he steps up with a paintbrush to slap a little gold paint on the old man in front of the eyes of "the kids," because so often the children will ask dad to do something he knows he can't do – – and he does it. In the field with the boys dad brings down a high flying duck with a shot he knows he could never make again. In spite of his lack of mechanical ability, the parts of an old wagon the boys wanted fixed somehow fit together and dad is proud and delighted that he accomplish the impossible – because the boys expected of him.


Yes, fathers – – we are only human, but I feel if we take our responsibilities seriously and try to be the man our kids think we are, somebody up there will be around to give us a powerful lot of help.

No comments:

Post a Comment