Tuesday 16 February 2021

Originally broadcast n CHED radio - Monday, January 11th, 1965

I pity the man, or woman, who has no islands. For myself, I do not know how I could exist in this mad, hectic world were it not for my islands. They are very important to me. They are those rich, warm, brief, wonderful moments of supreme happiness into which we stumble from time to time. They cannot be created, or re-created. They are as elusive as a shadow on the garden wall. You are allowed such moments infrequently, so when they appear, appreciate them, live them to the full, before the waters of time wash over them and sink them into the sea of every day activities, before they are swallowed up by the humdrum years of life. Where do these islands appear? Perhaps on the hilltop, in the fall just as the sun goes down over the horizon,,, perhaps as you sit alone by fireside watching the warm blaze playing tricks with shadows and light. You may find such islands as a singer weaves his love song into a story that reaches into your very being to warm your heart and bring a silent tear to your eye. Or perhaps your islands will appear as you hold someone you love very much, close in your arms, and she is yours and she belongs… and it is wonderful. You will think, I can never be happier than I am at this very moment. But, oh, that moment is such a fleeting thing… and soon, regardless of how much you'd like to hold tightly to the wonder of it all… it is over and gone. These are your golden islands, and long after they sink into the sea of life, they will continue to bring warmth and meaning to your life. Learn to recognize them my friends… do not let them go by without marking them well in your memory… the sunset… the quiet time… the fireside… the song… those indescribably wonderful words, “I love you very much" can fill your heart to overflowing for as long as time can see ahead, if they are forever recorded in a special place in your memory… I sacred place, reserved for your golden islands.

No comments:

Post a Comment