Wednesday 24 February 2021

Originally broadcast on CHED radio - Date unknown

18 year old Johnny B. Antillon, a student from the Philippines made the following contribution to a discussion on “THE WORLD WE WANT". 


"Usually, when I discuss with people the kind of world we want, they astonished me by describing a Utopia without cares. As for me, I like this world we have. I like living in this century - - so full of striving and plans that I feel part of a wonderful and exciting experiment. I like the suspense which gives to life it's only true zest. Let me have this world, with dreams for me to dream and problems for me to solve.”


"If I had lived before the A and N bombs, I might be less optimistic of the future. But today I have great hope that we shall enjoy peace, for I feel deeply that no nation will start a war which none can possibly survive.”


"I believe that this world we have deserves a vote of confidence. With its dirt and cleanliness, it's ups and downs, and it's total unexpectedness, it has given, through variety, more pleasure than pain. Whatever else it may be, this particular century is still the brightest, the most exciting, the most promising of all."


"May this world always be as challenging as it is. May it always have something to be solved, patched or mended. But above all, may this world never be a soft place for soft people with soft heads. For I want a world where a man, by facing his troubles, can prove his manhood. With a world of such challenge and scope our lives will never be complacent, but they will certainly be worth living.”

No comments:

Post a Comment