Thursday 18 February 2021

Originally broadcast on CHED radio - Date unknown

A world famous comic visited our town recently. The people promoting his performance arranged an interview for me. On the way to his hotel my car was stopped while road crew completed a small detour around an excavation. I got out of my car to see why we were being delayed. The foreman told me the men were digging a sewer and that we couldn't pass that way. I asked him how much the men made who are working down there in the cold slip in the ground. "About six dollars a day,” he replied. "Is it important work?" I asked him. “Very," he said. "If we didn't have sewers, we'd soon all be ill or die of disease. "Later that day while talking to the comic and his manager I found that he'd make $15,000 for one hour’s work that same evening. I asked the manager if the comic worked hard. "Not really, "he replied. "He uses the same routine in every town and furthermore he has six writers to help him! "The incongruity of this situation bothered me all day. Here we have the sewer digger getting six dollars a day for work that is hard and obviously very important, while the comic gets $15,000 for an hour’s work that comes very easy to him. I thought to myself, surely there is enough to laugh over and cry over in this world without paying for it. I discussed this matter with a man much older and much wiser than I. I asked him why this situation should exist. "Because we are fools,” he replied. You know I think he has something there.

No comments:

Post a Comment