Wednesday 24 February 2021

Originally broadcast on CHED radio - Thursday, May 7, 1964

I suppose we like to think that as a society, we treat them rather well. We build them special homes where they can be with those who are the same age. We open and operate hospitals where they are carefully looked after and provided for. We erect small communities were all their neighbors had the same problems as they; and yet how many of us take a moment now and then to spend some time with those people we have come to know as "our senior citizens". Above all, these people want to be wanted. They want to feel that they are still part of the main stream of Canadian life. What we are doing for the aged is great, but is it enough? Is it enough that we isolate them amid others who are reminders that the world and time is passing them by? True there are many who require special care and it is only right that they should have it. But there are so many more for whom the years have been kind. They are bright and attentive. Their lives have been full and they are filled with the accumulated knowledge of many, many summers. They are old, yes, but they are wise and I often feel we are all too anxious to write them off. I count myself very fortunate in that I have many, many friends of very advanced years. I often take my own problems to these people. I do this for two reasons. First is a selfish reason. I know that their's is the accumulated knowledge of the passing years and that their observations have a validity that only time can provide. Secondly, I know of their great desire to be needed and wanted and I recognize that when I let them help me, I am also helping them. How long has it been since you have spent time with a "senior citizen"? Why not enjoy this rewarding experience soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment