Friday 26 February 2021

Originally broadcast on CHED radio - Date unknown

We have a bird at our house. He is a yellow-green Budgie who goes by the name of Max. This creature gets more attention each day than I do. He flies about the house making a great deal of noise and perches on your shoulder to chatter when you are at your busiest. Frankly, Max is a useless pest… but we adore him. This is strange because not too long ago I used to get most impatient with people who, as I used to say, "Make darn fools of themselves" over pets. Had anyone told me I'd ever have a real case on for a budgie, I have told them they were out of their minds. I guess we love these little creatures because they ask so little of us. If we leave the home they are always glad to have us back when we return and are not afraid to show it. They never appear out of sorts and always have in their own way a cheering word to say. When the going gets tough in the whole world seems to have turned against you, you can always count on your pet to give you the acceptance you need so badly. Where a pet is concerned there are no demands, there is no treachery. When a man no longer has time to make a fool of himself over a bird or a dog or a cat, you can stop the world and I'll get off.

No comments:

Post a Comment