Wednesday 24 February 2021

Originally broadcast on CHED radio - Date unknown

Running a radio station as I do you can be very hectic work. The pressure is great, the tension is constant. I thank my lucky stars that in my business I have such great contact with people, because so often at the end of a hard day, when things have gone wrong and I'm feeling very miserable, one of our listeners will come to my rescue. For example, I got a call last week from a postman who has to get up at 4 AM every day. He phoned to tell me he listens to our station at that weird hour every day and enjoys it. I thanked him. He went on to say, however, but the station had caused him some marital strife. I asked him why. "There I am drinking last nights warmed over coffee, which is bad enough," he said, “when on comes that commercial about the fine services offered by an airline. They tell you about the pretty stewardess who is always ready to serve you a good hot steaming cup of nice fresh coffee. This is what I hear”, he said, "As I drink that old stale stuff my wife made last night." "That's too bad," I told him. "Have you discussed this with your wife?" I inquired. He had. "What did she say?" I asked. "She said, so why don't you take a plane to work, then rolled over and went back to sleep." Like I said. Thank heaven for people. I find them very amusing and usually at precisely the right time.

No comments:

Post a Comment