Tuesday 16 February 2021

Originally broadcast on CHED radio - Date unknown

I was walking through a large department store last week when I noticed a young lady I knew behind the perfume counter. I stopped to chat with her for a moment and I said, "my goodness you smell beautiful." She replied, "it's the perfume. I use the atomizer's to squirt a little perfume on customers who are interested in buying a certain brand, and I can't spray perfume around without getting a little on myself." I thought, happiness falls into that same category. You can't spread happiness around to others, without getting caught in the fallout yourself. I have a deep admiration for men and women who spend some time every week with the children in the hospitals, or with the veterans or the blind or the mentally retarded. I have always found these volunteer workers to be among the happiest, most cheerful people in our society, and I am sure that they are happy themselves because they are bringing happiness to others. More and more we have become a "what's in it for me" society. Every day in our business and social lives we concern ourselves more and more with our own problems, our own desires and satisfaction. There is so much greed and selfishness in the world and truly it does bring nothing but unhappiness. If you don't believe this theory that the more happiness you give, the more you get, just try it for a month. Forget your own desires and try to give happiness to your family, your friends, your business associates, and to those who have the greatest need of it. You'll find it is just like squirting perfume around. The more you give to the others, the more you get on yourself. Remember, the time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to give happiness to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment