Wednesday 24 February 2021

Originally broadcast on CHED radio - Date unknown

It's an unfortunate fact that in this day and age we often forget our manners. They used to be so important, but now it appears, people just couldn't care less. Perhaps you are one of those persons who thinks that a "please" or "thanks" is not really important. Believe me, one word like that can mean the difference between friend or foe. On a trip to New York once, I noticed that New York cab drivers do not talk to everybody. They’ll talk the leg off one person and be completely silent with the next. I asked a driver about this one day. He said "listen mister, it's a complement when a driver talks to you." "How so?" I inquired. The cabbie went on "I picked up a million fares driving in this city. I get two kinds of fares. One kind is the guy who says, "take me to Grand Central Station." Him, I don't talk to. The other one says "Will you take me to Grand Central Station?” Him I know I can talk to.” "Just that one word, WILL, is that the key?" I asked. "That's it mister. Ain't it funny how that little word, WILL always makes the difference between a stuffed shirt and a friend?" My friends, I think there is something to ponder in the observations of that cab driver. It is amazing what one little word can do, especially when those important small words are so seldom used.

No comments:

Post a Comment