Tuesday 16 February 2021

Originally broadcast on CHED radio - Date unknown

My wife and I drove to Las Vegas last month. I am the worlds most unsophisticated tourist. I loath air travel because it gets me there too fast and I know I have missed all those wonderful things that are right there beside the highway, things which I would stop and see were I driving my car. On this last trip I picked up two booklets which interested me. One was a small book about the Sioux Indian tribe. The other book was printed by the United States Atomic Energy Commission which has a large installation around Idaho Falls. If you are one of those people who think mankind has moved ahead very quickly these past few years, listen to this. After I have read these pieces to you, I am sure I won't have to make any comment. I am quoting from the Atomic Energy Commission pamphlet. "Nuclear weapons and atomic electric power are symbolic of the atomic age: one side, frustration and world destruction: on the other, creativity and common ground for peace and cooperation." Now I quote from an old Sioux Indian legend. "This is the fire that will help the generations to come, if they use it in a sacred manner. But if they do not use it well, the fire will have power to do them great harm." End of quotes. Nothing changes much over the years does it? It's all just a matter of degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment