Friday 26 February 2021

Originally broadcast on CHED radio - Wednesday, April 28, 1965

I took the long road to work yesterday. Like most people, it's my custom to stay in bed until the last minute. I switch on my radio to discover that I have just 20 minutes to make it to the office. I bolt breakfast and then I'm off, bumper to bumper, down the freeway, the shortest route between home and work. Yesterday dawned warm and clear. I heard a robin in a nearby tree just after daybreak. I rolled out early and after a solitary breakfast climbed in my car and started out along the river road. My goodness, how much I have been missing in all my rush. The ice was breaking up and huge jagged floats were drifting lazily down the Saskatchewan. The bugs were starting to show on the trees along the riverbank, and the call of the cock pheasant echoed across the valley. Up on the hill, the grass was starting to turn green and here and there the bright yellow of an anxious dandelion could be seen. As I passed the golf course, I noticed two young men who had removed their jackets, the better to feel the warmth of the springtime sun. The season hadn't officially opened, but they couldn't wait to get out on the links for the first game of the new season. As I drove along I noticed an old man with his ancient dog, walking along the roadside. He waved to me as I passed and I wondered how many spring times he had seen and how many more it would be his good fortune to see. I am one of those people who hates our long cold winters, and yet I could not help but wonder as I drove along in the crisp spring air, if I would really enjoy these moments as much had they not been made so precious by the cold, dreary months through which we had just passed. When I got to the office, one of our young ladies said, "Good morning, Mr. Forbes." Yes, indeed, it was a good morning. A VERY good morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment