Tuesday 16 February 2021

Originally broadcast on CHED radio - Monday, March 7, 1960

Above the door of my office is a small sign that says... "is it really worth a headache". I get them… real dandies and the doctor says… "straight tension". Who gives me these headaches? I do. That's right… I am my own worst enemy, because nothing rolls off my back. I take everything to heart… and I should have my head read. But happily, I'm not alone in this boat. I know a whole batch of folks who are just the same as I am… they worry about everything… everybody… every situation… and come up with headaches… heart attacks… ulcers and all the other illnesses brought on by our 1960 pace of living. One good thing I can say for myself… I am trying to beat it… because I know I HAVE to beat it or it will beat me. How do you beat it? Well my way is so simple and really so stupid that I think it's working. Whenever I fly off the handle and get really upset and I try the magic phrases… “A hundred years from today… what difference will it make”. Now that may sound like a slough-off way of dealing with a problem… but let me remind you that either you can do something about a situation or you can’t… and if you can't do anything about it and it STILL has you genuinely upset, then try the magic phrase… "100 years from today… what difference will it make". It won't work all the time… it may take a long time to work the first time… but if you are the tensed up worried type… try it… if it never works for you… what difference will it make, 100 years from today?

No comments:

Post a Comment