Wednesday 24 February 2021

Originally broadcast on CHED radio - Date unknown

I wish I could remember names. I'm great on faces, but when it comes to attaching the appropriate handle, I'm a dead loss. Like most everyone else, when confronted with a familiar face, I use the old footwork to avoid having to come up with the persons correct name. "How you been old buddy?" Or “hi-ya their old timer, what's new?” And all the while you're asking yourself, "what the deuce is this fellows name? Know it as well as my own." I had a shattering experience not long ago. I was acting out the aforementioned charade on the main street of our city. For the life of me I couldn't remember the persons name to whom I was talking although he appeared to know me extremely well. He inquired about a piece I had written a few months ago and asked if he could get a copy. I assured him I'd be delighted to mail it to him. Right there I was trapped. Determined to ball my way through to the end, I took out a small booklet and pen and said, "how do you spell your last name again?" He looked at me with some bewilderment, then smiled and said “B.R.O.W.N.” I am murmured something about an "E" on the end of it and silently walked away. I made a promise to myself that day. I promised I would never try footwork again. Now if I don't know a persons name, I simply say, "gosh, I'm sorry, I know you but I forgotten your name." Believe me, it's the better method.

No comments:

Post a Comment