Tuesday 16 February 2021

Originally broadcast on CHED radio - Date unknown

How often have you complained that your husband takes you for granted? If you read Ann Landers or Dear Abby, you know this is a common complaint. He takes you for granted. Is that really so bad? Surely when two people have lived together for a few years, they can and should take each other just a little for granted. Yes, I take for granted that my wife will be up before me each morning to prepare my breakfast. I also take for granted she'll be there when I get home in the evening, ready to serve a hot dinner. She takes for granted that I have had a hard day and might very well be tired and for a little while, not too communicative. I take for granted that she's had a full day with the children and I can appreciate that it's not all been a bed of roses since I said goodbye in the morning. Surely we don't have to spell all these things out for each other. We just take them for granted. She also takes for granted that my golf slacks are a little too tight around the waist line this season, just as I take for granted that since the baby came she can't get into that pink cotton dress I liked so well last summer. Yes, there is a great deal of taking for granted in marriage and frankly I think that is just how it should be. It would be a pretty rough road to hoe if we each had to prove ourselves to our mates every day of our married lives. I feel that in marriage it's the things we DON’T say that are really important, the things we all just take for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment